Welcome to the Ozark Junior High Counselor’s page. My name is Brenda Beard and I have been the JH counselor for over 13 years. I am here to help your children with academic goals, social emotional well-being and provide and welcoming and safe place for them to learn.
Frequently Asked Questions
What do school counselors do?
- Work with individuals and groups
- Help identify needs of students
- Encourage better interpersonal relationships
- Promote positive attitudes and choices
- Aid teachers and parents in helping students
- Assist people in making use of community resources
- Coordinate referrals to outside agencies
- Assist students with the process of growing up
- Coordinate efforts with other school programs
- Provide preventative services
- Maintain confidentiality
Why do students visit their school counselor?
Here are just a few reasons a student might want to talk to the School Counselor:
- “I’m getting picked on at the bus stop and I don’t know what to do about it.”
- “My best friend isn’t talking to me and it’s making me really sad.”
- “I want to show you what I just made in art. I’m very proud of it.”
- “I’m new to this school, and I’m really scared.”
- “I just want to talk to someone who won’t laugh at me.”
- “I did a lot better on my last math test, and I’m so excited to tell someone!”
- “Lisa, Carol and I had a problem at recess. Can you help us work it out?”
Why do parents contact their school counselor?
Here are just a few resaons a parent might want to talk to the School Counselor:
- “Sarah doesn’t want to go to school in the mornings.”
- “I’m concerned because Allen keeps telling me he doesn’t have any friends.”
- “We recently had a death in the family, and I’m not sure how to tell my child.”
- “Kevin has difficulty going to sleep at night and often has nightmares.”
- “My wife and I are going through a divorce and we’re not sure how to handle things with the kids.”
- “Jason seems to get really frustrated doing his homework and nothing I say seems to help.”
ATTENDANCE IS IMPORTANT!
- Set a regular bed time and morning routine
- Lay out clothes and pack backpacks the night before
- Find out what time school starts and make sure you have all required shots
- Don't let you child stay home unless truly sick
- If your child seems anxious about school, talk to teacher, school counselors, or other parents for advice
- Avoid vacations when school is in session
Office Hours and Contact Information:
Ozark Junior High: 7:40 - 3:30
Phone number: (479) 667-4747